Problem Uploading (Very Slow)

Core FTP client questions and answers
Raven

Problem Uploading (Very Slow)

Post by Raven »

I have been using Core FTP for a long while now, and it has never given me a problem until the last few weeks.

My problem is that whenever I upload something onto any server it either stops halfway, or it reaches 100% and times out... then once I reconnect I check how big the file is and compare it to the one uploaded... big difference.

I can upload things 1KB and under, but anything from 2-3KB is extremely slow, and 4+ just will time out and not upload at all.

I have done everything I possibly can think of. I have changed the buffer sizes, checked/unchecked PASV, I've tried going off my router, changing my ethernet cord, changing the cable cord, turning off my firewall, virus checks, adware checks, checked on different computers, and spyware checks... all in all I can't fix anything.

If anyone has a solution or what not I would be greatly appreciative.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I have tried three different servers, so I don't believe it's the servers problem.

I believe that it could be the ISP, that was what I was thinking but I wasn't all that sure because it's only the FTP that gives me problems. I have tried on three different computers in my house to it quite possibly be that.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I tried the asni version and I tried uploading stuff and it worked last night. Today I try to update, and I can't because it still is disconnecting and timing out. I also turned off my anti-virus but still no good.

I'll try seeing what it does when I start up without having the extra programs opening.

Tried that... still no. :cry:
Raven

Post by Raven »

I did that, and they said that the problem is out of their hands.

I'll try contacting whom I buy my hosting from, which I highly doubt is going to help.
bazkar

Post by bazkar »

Just a quick thought, since small files do work, might this be quota problem?
Raven

Post by Raven »

Have you double checked connections to your computer (using the netstat command from dos) to see if you have any backdoor/unknown activity going on?

If you can account for all connection (if any exist), then you can at least eliminate it as a traffic issue.
I don't know how to do that, nor do I know what it is.

As for my quota, I am only using up 1.57MB's of a lot of space. I know that can't be the problem at all.
Brendon K

Post by Brendon K »

Start -> Run

Type in cmd

type in: netstat

...press enter. :)
Raven

Post by Raven »

I had no idea what it meant when showing me that. I did a traceroute prior and did the same thing.

I got a new computer, seems it was my old one because oddly enough the FTP works awesome now. Sorry for that... :oops:
Raven

Post by Raven »

I lied. It doesn't work. I've come to the conclusion that it's my router. No clue what it's doing.

Meh, it can't be fixed, it can't be fixed. Atleast it uploads from time to time so I'm all good. Thanks anyways.
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

I know this was mentioned above but I'll post it more detail because it might help.

Try using active mode connections (PASV not checked), and then define your router's external IP in the adv -> connections -> Use NAT/IP address field.

I had this problem once at a customer site and it was the only thing that worked. The router did not like FTP unless the connections were coming inbound instead of outbound (PASV).