[SOLVED] MDTM support for upload, which FTP server ?

Core FTP client questions and answers
gccme

[SOLVED] MDTM support for upload, which FTP server ?

Post by gccme »

The initial subject have been modified to make this message more informative for other users !

The reason of this message is to know how to send or receive a file via FTP and keeping date/time information for comparing file and overwrite if different.

---------------------------------------------------

I would like to know if CoreFTP client have an option that allow to send or receive a folder (or many files) by a scheduled task that will not overwrite/transfer files that have the same size (that are similar) ?

Why ? -->
Exemple: I have my website that contain over 4 GB of files and I have a local copy on my own computer that I use to program/update (and also make a backup) the website. But when I make a lot of modification in many files I need to send this 4GB of data to my webserver via FTP and take a big night at 10 Mbps (and not possible on DSL or lower access)...

If I could have a intelligent FTP client that compare local files with remote files and overwrite them when they are different (not same size... because we know that we cannot compare with the date/time a file on a Windows client and a Linux server ***And if it's possible it's better ***). With this option the FTP client could send modified files only and very fast than overwrite every files !!!

Please let me know if it's possible with CoreFTP ?
Last edited by gccme on Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gccme

Post by gccme »

How can I know if my FTP server support MDTM ?

Does exist a list or a website that explain this support ?
gccme

Post by gccme »

If I find something like that:

Code: Select all

PASV  
227 Entering Passive Mode (123,123,123,123,37,213)  
RETR mysql.sql  
Connect socket #10084 to 123.123.123.123, port 9685...
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for mysql.sql (5357 bytes).  
226 Transfer complete.  
mysql.sql - 5357 bytes transferred
MDTM mysql.sql  
213 20050621060002
It confirm me that my server support MDTM ?
gccme

Post by gccme »

My previous message had a sample from a test transfert.

1- I get the file on my server to copy it on my local drive with CoreFTP

2- I sync it (try both way) with the server

-------------------------------------------------

Now I try with my true files (only compare to verify):

1- My files was always created on my computer locally.

2- Before, I always sent them using FTP client in IE6 (copy/paste root folder of my site and overwrite every files).

3- When I start the compare mode (from local to FTP site, compare -->>) and check box "Use MDTM for dates" every files compared have "Time doesn't match" error.

It could be possible that every files doesn't have the good date because was sent previously with a FTP client that doesn't support MDTM ???

Or MDTM is valid from FTP site to local drive way only ?

NOTE: When I try it, I don't have MDTM error in the log, but a message like I sent you previously...

MDTM fax.doc
213 20050321232842
...But every files seem to have the same MDTM tag value with a little difference at the end (seconds) like if the date wrote was the time when I sent them the last time.

MDTM icon_profile.gif  
213 20050907123715  
MDTM icon_quote.gif  
213 20050907123715  
MDTM icon_search.gif  
213 20050907123716  
MDTM icon_www.gif  
213 20050907123716  
MDTM icon_yim.gif  
213 20050907123717  
MDTM msg_newpost.gif  
213 20050907123717
gccme

Post by gccme »

*** Sorry for many reply but I'm learning in same time about MDTM :lol: ****

CP, I think that my server doesn't support MDTM in upload way like you tell me... It's a problem for me because my newer version of my files is always the local that I need to put on my server.

Do you know which FTP server (brand and version) should support MDTM upload option ?

I'm actually using WU-FTPD 2.6.2-11.73.1 on Red Hat 7.3 O/S.

Thanks a lot
gccme

Post by gccme »

CP, my problem is not exactly how you said...

I don't have any problem of hour offset, my FTP server have the same hour setting than my local computer (both use GMT-5 and the BIOS not use GMT).

Exemple: my local file have a date like 1999-12-20, when I copy it to the FTP server the date is modified to the time when I make this action (2005-09-14) including the hour !
gccme

Post by gccme »

CP,

I make some research... and it's very hard to find information about MDTM for FTP Server !!!

But, I had received and answer from vsftpd team. And I tested it !

Yes, vsftpd 2.0.0 and higher version support MDTM in upload !!!

...But I have a problem with the download and it's an another game with vsftpd team :roll:

(If you find some other FTP server that support MDTM upload way, please submit the info on this message.)

Thanks a lot for your information.
LesD

Post by LesD »

I had the same problem. I was using FileZilla Server and it was fine except that the developer refused to implement MDTM - claiming that that it was ill-defined and ambiguous (true but virtually impossible to happen in real life)

After much hunting I came up with Gene6 http://www.gene6.com/ which is reasonably priced and very feature rich. I am testing it at the moment
gccme

Post by gccme »

LesD,

CP said below that you should have a working solution with Microsoft IIS FTP server... and IIS is free !

You could try it.

On my side, I search for a Linux FTP server solution.
LesD

Post by LesD »

I gave it one try and gave up! For example, as far as I could see the users all have to be created as accounts on the system.
gccme

Post by gccme »

Yes, I know it's more complicated to put a "secure" setup with IIS depending of your network environnement.

But, if you have a DC (Windows NT or Active Directory) on another computer in your network, sharing specific folders for specific users on the IIS FTP server is very safe. Or if you have a standalone server dedicated for FTP again and you create local users with restricted rules and permissions it's safe also.
LesD

Post by LesD »

Maybe I gave up too soon. My concern initially was not the security but the practicality. I just found it difficult to set up.

Also I am certain that some of the features I use are not there.

For example I set up groups which include %user in the path specification. I therefore do not have to set up any paths for the users as the group setup automatically adjusts itself based on the User login name - each has his own directory.